Thursday, December 5, 2013

Queens Our City Radio Exclusive Q&A with the One & Only Martha Wash

Martha Wash is truly one of our legendary divas of dance music and, in my opinion, one of our finest female vocalists. In my exclusive Q&A with Ms Wash, she discusses her career, her new single ("It's My Time"), her latest album, Something Good (which is amazing) and much more.


Dj Buddy Beaverhausen: Hello, Ms Wash, and thank you for talking to me and everyone out here at Our City Radio. How was your Thanksgiving?
Martha Wash: Thank you very much for having me. My Thanksgiving was fine. I just relaxed the whole day. Texted my family and friends.

DBB: I mostly want to talk about your latest album, Something Good, which has been one of my faves of the year and is so inspirational. It's perfect music for the holiday season. But first, I've always been curious as to your work with Sylvester. Specifically, did you know Izora Rhodes beforehand or were you first put together as Two Tons of Fun?
MW: Izora and I used to sing in a gospel group called N.O.W. Singers (News of the World). We also sang in different community choirs that would have musicals together. I brought her in to audition for Sylvester when he wanted another large singer.



DBB: How does it feel to be a true survivor? To have sung through decades of music (mostly dance) as a solo artist and the voice of The Weather Girls, C&C Music Factory, Black Box, etc.?
MW: I'm just thankful that I'm still here to be able to perform for people and that they still enjoy hearing me. I'm amazed that it's been so many years. Time goes by really quickly.



DBB: Isn't that the truth? Martha, I think most people reading the Our City internet network will agree you are one of the great, influential voices throughout our lives. Was there ever a low point for you that you felt you'd quit the business and maybe do something else?
MW: I thought about quitting a few times over the decades. When I thought about what I would do in its place, I couldn't really come up with anything, so here I am still singing!



DBB: Something Good is well titled. Whose idea was it to name the album?
MW: My manager (James Washington) and I were going back and forth between Something Good and It's My Time. I liked both titles. We decided on Something Good because it encompasses all the songs on the album. Each song is something good.



DBB:Yes, every tack! On this album, you do an amazing job covering Aerosmith's "Dream On," the penultimate track. Now, I wouldn't ordinarily think of you doing this song, yet you do a boffo job of it! How did this all come about for you?
MW: James said I needed to record a cover song. I didn't want to necessarily. He started looking into some classic songs and came up with "Dream On." I knew the song and had liked it so I said okay, let's try it. I think it came out pretty good. We wanted to remain true to the song, but put my twist to it. 


DBB: "Pretty good" is an understatement in my opinion. Is there any song on Something Good that was particularly personal for you? And why was that?
MW: No, there's no particular one. Within all of these songs, at different points in my life I've experienced the good, bad, hope, disillusion, faith, loss, love, acceptance. I'm sure a lot of people who listen to the album could identify.


DBB:"It's My Time" actually brings tears to my eyes because it's so edifying and close to my heart. Plus it has a dancefloor touch to it. Might we ever hear mixes of this one?
MW: We have released remixes of "It's My Time" produced by DJ's Papercha$ers. Great mixes that everyone should check out. Everybody wanted remixes of the songs, so we're doing them a little at a time. They'll be more in 2014.



DBB: Martha, what music influenced you growing up?
MW: I grew up listening to gospel music only. That was the only music allowed in my house. When I became a teenager, I had a small radio that I would put under my pillow and listen to rock groups and the Motown artists. Aretha Franklin was my #1 favorite. 



DBB: Any shout-outs to your LGBT fans at Queens Our City Radio and my Blab It to Beaverhausen blog?
MW: I'd just like to thank them all for supporting me over the years and that I love them all. It's great to know that we're all still here!



DBB: You probably won't remember this, but we shared an awkward moment after your performance at BB King's NYC. You agreed to a pic of my kissing you on the cheek but my friend had issues getting my cell to take the photos. Consequently, my lips were on your cheek uncomfortably long. You called out, very diva-like: "work it!" And he did! How do you put up with fans like us?
MW: [Laughs] It doesn't bother me. It's part of the job. I don't have a problem meeting my fans, I welcome it. As long as everyone is respectful of each other, I'm fine.



DBB: Ms Wash, we wish you a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year and much more music to come from one of the great singers of our times. We are so grateful to your doing this Q&A. Any last words you'd like to add?
MW: I'd just like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a healthy, prosperous, loving, blessed New Year. I'm asking my fans to support me again with this album, Something Good, and the "It's My Time" Remixes by going to Amazon, ITunes and CdBaby. Indie Artists need all the support they can get. Hit me up on Facebook at www.themarthawash.com or @Martha_Wash on Twitter and let me know what you think.
Thanks so much again for this time.

Below, the official "It's My Time" video:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MZf928oAqZc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment